POLYMER TECHNOLOGY SYLLABUS
(These syllabus may change from time to time. Please check with the relevant Public Service Commission websites for any changes in the syllabus)
- Raw materials, monomers, homopolymers, copolymers
- Vinyl polymers, polymer chemistry, primary and secondary bonds
- Properties affected by primary bonds; physical properties affected by secondary bonds
- Free radical polymerization: reaction and termination rates using physical chemistry models; ionic, condensation and mixed mode polymerization
- Physical structure of polymers: semi-crystalline, amorphous, and rubbery states. Chain branching, networking in polymers.
- Iso-free volume theory: deformation of polymers - glassy and viscoelastic; molecular statistics of rubbery states
- Tensile, shear, compression and impact properties
- Effect of temperature and strain rates in polymers.
- Rheology: relationship between molecular weight, temperature and shear rates.
- Effect of additives.
- Structure-property correlation in glassy, semicrystalline and oriented polymers
- Polymer manufacturing and applications. Commodity and specialty plastics; Nanopolymers, conducting polymers.