DEFENCE- PAGE 1
1. Who opined that “if you wish for peace, understand war” ?
(B) J.F.C. Fuller
(C) Mao Tse Tung
(D) B.H. Liddell Hart
2. Who is among the following known as ‘Father of India’s Missile Programme’ ?
(A) A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
(B) Raja Ramanna
(C) Anil Kakodkar
(D) Vikram Sarabhai
3. Which one of the following is not taken as the instrument of National Security ?
(A) Armed Forces
(B) Diplomatic services
(C) Intelligence services
4. Who argued that “the central theme of international relations is not evil, but tragedy” ?
(A) Robert Jervis
(B) K. Subrahmanyam
(C) B. Buzan
(D) Arnold Wolfers
5. ‘Security Dilemma’ of States continues, due to the following reasons :
(A) Military power always appears offensive to others.
(B) Military power becomes defensive.
(C) States do not take steps to use force.
(D) States want economic freedom.
6. Who argued that “Geo-politics is a pseudo-science” ?
(A) B. Buzan
(B) H. Morgenthau
(C) H. Mackinder
(D) Raymon Aron
7. Who among the following propounded the Organic Theory of State ?
(A) Halford Mackinder
(B) Carl Haushofer
(D) S.B. Cohen
8. During the cold war years, key to world peace was insured by
(A) Homeland Security Mechanism
(B) Balance of Power and Collective Security Mechanisms
(C) Regional Security
(D) Comprehensive Security
9. Who propounded the concept of ‘Geographical Pivot of History’ ?
(A) Alexander de Seversky
(B) Carl von Clausewitz
(C) Halford Mackinder
(D) Alfred T. Mahan
10. Rise of fundamentalism in Afghanistan is largely due to
(B) Religious extremism of Islam
(D) Pastoral economy
11. Where is Diego Garcia island situated ?
(A) Pacific Ocean
(B) Indian Ocean
(C) Atlantic Ocean
(D) Baltic Sea
12. Which one of the following is not implied in the assumptions of Deterrence Theory ?
(A) Decision-makers are rational.
(B) The treat of destruction from warfare is large.
(C) Alternatives to war are available.
(D) Open economy can defuse the threat of war.
13. Which one of the following is not an arms control agreement ?
14. Which one of the following is not an element of National Power of a modern nation-state ?
(A) Critical Mass
(B) National Will
(C) Economic Capability
(D) Social Movement
15. After Tsunami-induced problems in Japan’s Fukushima Nuclear Plant, which one of the following countries has not stopped the expansion of nuclear power for peaceful purposes ?
16. Which of the following is not the consequence of the Indo-US Civilian Nuclear Deal ?
(A) US support for India’s emergence as a potential super power.
(B) Separation of India’s civil and defence nuclear facilities.
(C) International inspection of nuclear facilities.
(D) Nuclear Supplier Group’s unhindered support for India.
17. The military operation launched by independent India to liberate Hyderabad from Nizam’s rule in September 1948 was named as
(A) Operation Polo
(B) Operation Green Hunt
(C) Operation Vijay
(D) Operation Blue Star
18. ‘Armed Forces Special Powers Act’ was enacted by India in the following year :
19. The terms ‘Golden Crescent’ and ‘Golden Triangle’ are related to :
(A) Fake currency business
(B) Proliferation of small arms
(C) Narco trafficking
(D) All of the above activities of organised crime
20. ‘Operation Jeronimo’ is related to :
(A) Killing of Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan
(B) Killing of Col. M. Gaddafi
(C) Killing of Benazir Bhutto
(D) Killing of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat
21. ‘Missile for Nuke’ programme is referred to :
(A) Transfer of missile technology by North Korea in the exchange of nuclear technology by Pakistan.
(B) Missile technology transfer by China to Pakistan.
(C) Reduction in inter-continental Ballistic Missiles by USA and USSR.
(D) Nuclear Threat Reduction (NTR).
22. Which one of the following is located in South China Sea ?
(A) Spartley Island
(B) Vanuatu Island
(C) Coco Island
(D) Vitilevu Island
23. Swat Valley is situated in the area of :
(A) India – Myanmar border
(B) Pakistan – Iran border
(C) Pakistan – Afghanistan border
(D) India – Nepal border
24. ‘Jasmine Revolution’ is related to :
(A) Green revolution
(C) Democratic awakening in the Islamic world
(D) Environmental movement
25. Which one of the following is not a member country of SAARC ?